GURDWARA SAHIB GREENTOWN, IPOH
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE GURDWARA SAHIB
The Gurdwara Sahib Ashby Road was first made by the Officer Commanding Sappers and Miners of the 8th Division of the Azad Hind Fauj (Indian National Army). When Col. Matab Wulk was the Officer Commanding of this Division,, there was a Gurdwara, and a Mosque in the lones of the Camp. Two Battalion Commanders, who were Mohamadans, objected to the existence of the Gurdwara and the Mosque in the Camp. Col Matab Wulk decided that the Gurdwara and the Mosque be built outside the Camp. To execute his orders, the Mosque was made first and then the Gurdwara Sahib. This was sometime in early 1944.
The site of the present Gurdwara was chosen by Capt. Teja Singh of the 2nd Battalion and Capt. Gatar Singh of the Sappers and Miners Unit. The Sikh soldiers under their command were ordered to collect 100 bricks per soldier and gather them together at this site. The soldiers went out and wholeheartedly collected the bricks from far and near with great enthusiasm. The Gurdwara Sahib was then made by the Sappers and Miners themselves.
When Col. Bishen Singh (from Officers Training School, Batu Pahat) took over the command of the Division in Ipoh, the Gurdwara Sahib was completed and was known as ‘Gurdwara Sahib’.
In 1945, the command of the Division was passed over to Col. Bhonsle. When he surrendered the Division to the British Occupation Forces, the Gurdwara was still existing.
When the INA. Units were moved out of Ipoh during the latter part of 1945 the management of the Gurdwara Sahib was handed over to Sardar Bhagwan Singh Lallpuria and the government servants, who were living in Greentown and Kg. Kepayang areas of Ipoh.
Bhai Gurdial Singh was the Granthi from 1947 till his death in 1982. He did voluntary service most of the time.
The Gurdwara Sahib was registered on 9th. February, 1951 with the Registrar of Societies. It is one of the earliest registered gurdwaras in the country.
A 4 room house was built for the Granthi in 1954. The service of providing the building was done by Mr. K. Lim of Ipoh. The foundation stone was laid by Mata Basant Kaur, mother of Sardar Amar Singh of Supreme Court on 16th. July, 1954.
The Gurdwara Sahib reserve (Lot No. 2653 N, Area: 2 roods 28 poles) was officially approved by the Land Office, Ipoh on 30th. May, 1956. The Parbandhak Committee of the Gurdwara Sahib was headed by Sardar Sant Singh, a surveyor.
The Gurdwara Sahib reserve was gazetted on 21st. August, 1958 via Notification 805 of the Perak Government Gazette.
The present Gurdwara Sahib building was built in 1964 with a government grant of RM. 25,000. The foundation stone was laid by Sant Sohan Singh of Melaka on 9.6.1964.
In 1964, the government approved the Temporary Occupation License (T.O.L.) for the car park. T.O.L. fee was paid till 1982 but due to unknown reasons it was discontinued in 1983. The present Parbandhak Committee has reapplied for the car park after having a long discussion with the Assistant District Officer from the Land Office.
In 1966, the then Parbandhak Committee headed by Sardar Ditt Singh of the Election Office applied for extension of land to build the Punjabi School. The extension land was approved on 2nd. December, 1967. A double storey building was put up in 1968 with public donations.
Committee headed by the then President Jit Singh is in contact with the Mentri Besar Perak and pursuing the
This lot No. 5055N (17,300 sq. feet) has been gazetted since then. The State Secretary Perak given the approval. Thanks to the Committee under the leadership of Sardar Gordip Singh (1999-2003).
The Committee applied for the land around the Gurdwara Sahib comprising of the car park, the slopes and the land behind the School building. The State EXCO approved the application at its meeting held on 18 July 2012, but to date we have not received the official notification. The approval was cancelled vide a letter dated 24 April 2014. The matter.
We are grateful to Sardar Dheer Singh s/o Giani Tahil Singh for the undivided support he is giving us in this matter.